Contributors

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Shredded Brussel Sprout Salad With Mandarins, Cranberries, and Almonds

I've been asked for Brussel Sprouts recipes 3 times in about 2 weeks so decided to post this, even though I have about 238473874 things to catch up on. Like that I am posting from Italy, sitting on a couch next to my hubby :-)

My little sis from DG, Caroline, posted a shredded Brussel Sprout salad on her blog a while ago, and I have been making them since. One of my go to salads is my mom's apple cider "slaw" with dill and pine nuts (it gets gobbled up every time I make it). I figured, Brussel Sprouts are just little cabbages, so why not? I love the salad, but not as much as I love roasted Brussel Sprouts, or these yummy ones. It's a close second though!

Ingredients:

-about 30 brussel sprouts, run through the food processor's shredder/grater thing, not in the bowl with the blade (or you can shred them with a knife if you want to cry for an hour), or buy pre-shredded (trader jos baby!)
-1/2 cup of dried cranberries
-1/2 cup of toasted nuts (almonds, pine nuts, walnuts)
-1/2 cup of canned mandarin oranges
- lemon dressing, recipe below (or you can use store bought raspberry vinagraite or whatever you want)

FYI, that's our wedding pattern, I love it :-) Wanted something casual or fancy. And I think it's pretty timeless. 

Moving on.

Toss everything together with the following:
-Juice of 2 lemons
-1 tablespoon of sugar or equivalent of splenda (or 1 tablespoon of honey/agave etc)
-2 teaspoons of minced garlic
-1/4 cup of olive oil

You can really use any acid instead of the lemon (apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar would be great choices). You could also use pomegranate seeds instead of the cranberries! Hmmmm I want to make that next.

Ciao to all!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Avigail...this sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to try this one. Gabriel isn't very fond of most veggies but I bet he'd like this!!!!
    Givemy young cousin a kiss from his OLD cousin!!!!

    ReplyDelete