Contributors

Monday, February 02, 2009

... and finally over stomach virus

SO much has happened since I last wrote. First off, I had a stomach virus for about a week. Definitely NOT fun, as I was throwing up at all hours of the day and night, but I did lose some weight out of it. Would much rather not have to go through that again though the next time I'm trying to kickstart a diet!

I really am trying to focus on my social life more, and not as much on work. I went to a wine tasting w/Lauren K. the other day and realized that I was a lot more shy and reserved than I normally am, because it was hard for me at first to come up with topics to talk about non work related. As the evening went on I got better and was more myself, just enjoying the time, but I need to work on it more.

I have book club tonight and I invited a whole bunch of girl friends to happy hour at Zely and Ritz on Thursday, so that should be a lot of fun and provide some regular good old 20 something times. I'm also excited about all the DG alumni stuff - I really think it's going to be a great season for the group and that membership will increase and become more active.

Sara has been going through a lot lately w/her job etc, but she won the battle (the two of us had  a mini freaking out session lol), and she's just had a great attitude about it all. She's been in touch w/her mom and it's made her (and as a result me) so happy. I really am so proud of her and happy for her.

Now that I said I wouldn't talk about work, I will do so, because of a sudden turn of events. Whatever - this is my blog, not social hour! I am no longer working for one of my clients, which is a sudden change and definitely a shock to me, but I feel okay about it. I am mostly upset because I really do feel like I set up the entire program, and that the client's success should be greatly contributed to my efforts, and that their reasoning is going to hurt their child's progress - let me explain. They told me it was a really hard decision to make because they know how much I care for their child, but that their child was plateau-ing (I'm sorry - what kid doesn't reach plateaus?), and that there were too many philosophical differences between me and the consultant. Dang right there were! I have basically run this program on my own, and they don't see that, because they've never had experience with this, and I have. I've worked with consultants before, and I was not getting what I needed from this consulting - they weren't providing services that we all needed for me to run the program as the therapist.  I have come up with programs, set up targets, trials, and really done most of it on my own. I finally reached a breaking point and brought this up to the family and expressed my frustrations, because since the client had advanced so much, the programs were getting more complicated and detailed, and I just couldn't wing it anymore, without the direction of the consultant, and it was not my job to take extra time (which I was doing frequently!), to work on the program at home. The ironic thing is that I spoke to the consultant about it all, and I really felt like we had a breakthrough and that it would be starting to get better. We had set up team meetings (yeah, there were none of these before...what??), etc., and I thought it would improve. I am really hoping that the family sees quickly that it was not me as the therapist that directly corresponded to their child's plateau. That is one of the most aggravating parts of it actually - I am the one who NOTICED the plateau, and the consultant just said it was expected, while I was like, NO let's fight this! Let's come up with distinct targets etc to work on, let's break it down, we'll get through this! Oh well, I'm sure they'll soon realize and hopefully they will be able to work it out because this client means so much to me and I really want them to progress and be mainstream schooled. All in all, I am more upset for the progress of the child than for my career, because I know I can find other families (with better set-up programs where I don't have to do the work). I really hope that it all works out for them because I do care about the whole family a lot.

Okay well I'm going to read a bit and then run some errands before going to school. At least I have a touch of free time now!

No comments:

Post a Comment