Contributors

Friday, February 01, 2013

Mint Chip Chocolate Peppermint Cookies

I've posted about reverse chocolate chip cookies that I made. Well, around November or December I bought peppermint extract for a recipe that failed, and decided I needed to put it to use.

Then, around the same time, our best friends in Israel asked us for some mint chips. My dad was going to Israel and we always bring them tons of stuff from the US. Their daughter, Moran, and I were born one month apart, and both our parents were Israelis living in the states. She was one of my bridesmaids. here she is on the left at my shower with Eden:
and here she is getting ready for the wedding:

Okay tangent aside. Actually wait. I realized that I was out of the daily blogging habit during all the wedding events and realized I owe all of you some catchup posts. Look forward to posts such as creative ideas, emergency lists, how to keep yourself organized, etc.

Tangent aside for real - back to COOKIES! Well, this last visit, they asked for 6 bags of mint chips. No problem I thought, I've used those before!

Well, for some reason, I couldn't find mint chips at Vons (safeway), Smith's, Fresh and Easy, Whole Foods, or Trader Jos. Since Charlie I are amazon prime members, I bought about a dozen bags of these and they delivered 1-2 days later. 

With this begin said, this recipe calls for these. So go buy some of these, and while you're at it, order some cinnamon ones too! I like the guittard brand - a bag of 6 on amazon is under $20.

So with about 6 bags leftover, I had to use these chips, and my peppermint extract. And here go some yummy, chocolaty, minty cookies!

Ingredients:
-1 bag of mint chips (you can vary amount)
-1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder (I use hershey's)
-1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract (it's strong, a little goes a long way)
-2 sticks butter
-1 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup white sugar
-1 egg
-1 tablespoon of milk

-1 teaspoon of salt
-1 teaspoon of baking soda
-2 1/4 cups of bread four

I made these during a cookie baking spree with some other cookies, so here are the ingredients exclusively for this recipe:
Untitled

Instructions:
1. Cream butter, sugars, and cocoa powder in a mixer on low. Add peppermint extract, egg and milk and stir to combine.
2. Mix salt, soda, and flour together, and add in batches and mix until just combined. 
3. Add mint chips and stir with a metal spoon to combine.
4. Using a size 40 scoop, scoop into mini muffin tin sheets, and refrigerate them.
Untitled
5. After they have been refrigerated for 1 hour at the least (a few hours or overnight is better, but cover with tinfoil), bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. You can bake them in the mini muffin sheets, or take them out onto cookie sheets. They hold their form well, so if you want them to be more cookie shaped, use a greased fork to press them down.

Here is how they look when they were baked in the mini muffin sheets:
Untitled

Here is from a cookie sheet:
And here is when I have them as a midnight snack!!


PS - I am writing this from my bedroom and two of the dogs were cuddling with me. When I looked back, it was teeny little Lee and Maya, not Odge and Maya! I feel a bit betrayed by Odge, but am so weirded out that it's Lee! He never cuddles - he always "guards" the house from the couch looking out the window, right outside my room. Maybe Odge bleached his hair white? Weird.
Shabbat Shalom, ya'll!





1 comment:

  1. Hi I'm Emily! Please email me when you get a chance, I have a question about your blog!

    ewalsh874{at}gmail{dot}com

    ReplyDelete