Contributors

Sunday, February 09, 2014

"Leftovers" Healthy Fried Rice

Having a few leftovers on hand and a broken microwave leads to creative cooking. We had a bunch of brown rice left over, some crock pot chicken thighs, and peas and corn. So I decided to make leftover fried rice out of it.

This is going to be a very rough "recipe" since I just tossed things together.

I labeled this healthy because I used brown rice, and much less oil than normal fried rice! I would normally use breast but we had the leftover thighs that I needed to use.

Ingredients:
leftovers!
We had:
-brown rice (could be white but then this would be less of a healthy fried rice). Probably had about 3 cups of cooked brown rice
-veggies - we had corn and peas, but you can add whatever! toss in onion, broccoli, carrot, etc.
-cooked chicken  - we had about 2.5 thighs left over, and I shredded it up with a fork
-1/4 cup of egg white
-olive oil, pam spray, and soy sauce or teriyaki sauce

1. Heat up some olive oil (about 2 tbs) in a sauce pan, and add in all the ingredients except the sauce and egg. Stir around until it is warmed through and a little crispy, about 3-5 minutes on medium high.
2. Push the rice etc to the sides of the pan, and spray some pam or non stick spray in the middle. Add in the egg white and let it cook for about 3 minutes. Break it up with a wooden spoon and stir it all in.
3. Add whatever sauce you want - you can even add some sriracha. I wanted to use up some soy sauce so I added some honey to sweeten and thicken it up (basically teriyaki is soy sauce and sugar).

Enjoy your very quick leftover lunch that didn't need a microwave!

No comments:

Post a Comment