Contributors

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Lemon-Poppy Cookies

Craving: a recipe that will get rid of extra poppy seeds

Hi again. Sorry for the lack of posts - no readily available wi-fi is killing me! I am staying at the Marriott in Atlanta right now for a conference and I paid to get this wi-fi. But this recipe is so worth the $12.95 in wi-fi fees. I know you will love it!

A week and a half ago Charlie and I stayed at his parents' for the weekend and I got kitchen access (I posted this enchilada recipe from that weekend). For dinner one of the nights I decided to make Mom's strawberry-spinach salad, but they had no poppy or sesame seeds. I could only find a larger containenor of poppy's at the store, so I had to make up a poppy recipe to use them!

My thought? Cookies of course!

First let me start by saying that I made about 100 batches of my OMG cookies, and in a few of them I used butterscotch chips instead of chocolate chips. I now call those OMFG cookies. Try it.

I thought I could tweak this recipe to make a lemon poppy cookie recipe of similar texture but different flavor. The result was SO good, and some of the folk there claimed these were their favorite of all the cookies I had made!

Lemon-Poppy Cookies


Ingredients:
-Juice of 1 lemon
-zest of 2 lemons (you will have a naked lemon in your fridge, it will last just fine)
-1 egg and 1 yolk
-2 sticks of salted butter at room temperature (or unsalted, and add 1 tsp kosher salt)
-2 tsp vanilla
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup white sugar
-1 tbs and 1 tsp poppy seeds (this is 4 tsp)
-2 cups of bread flour
-1/4 cup all purpose flour

Directions:
1. Cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar using a hand mixer on medium.
Untitled

2. Zest your lemons. Add zest, juice, vanilla, egg and yolk, and poppy seeds. Mix until combined.

Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


Untitled


3. Add dry ingredients (flour, baking soda). Mix until combined.
Untitled

Untitled

4. Refrigerate at least 1 hour (up to 24 hours - after that, seal and freeze it).

5. Scoop onto cookie sheets using a 1.5 ounce (3 tbs) scoop. Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, rotating halfway through cooking time and moving from top to bottom and vice versa.



















Let cool - cookies will look a little raw in the middle while hot, but will harden.
Cooking time may need adjustment based on oven temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment