Contributors

Sunday, September 01, 2013

Random Brisket Recipe in the Crockpot

Last Friday, my mom texted me asking if I could make a meat dish for that night, like a brisket. I said sure why not, and went to costco to get the meat. I would normally need some more time for this dish but decided to chance it. It was great but would have been much better if it had cooked for 1-2 more hours.

I kept it simple and used the following:
Untitled

-1 onion
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-1 beer (any beer really works - you can use coke as well)
-a heaping tablespoon of "garlic garlic" (or use minced garlic, fresh or jarred, same amount).
-(not pictured): 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth (I don't keep beef broth on hand but that would have obviously worked too)

Plus the meat, obviously, and kosher salt and pepper. I don't remember how big the brisket was, but honestly, just cook it for like 6 hours on low in the crockpot whether its 3 pounds or 5 pounds. I think mine was closer to 5.

Before you stick the meat in the crockpot, sear it on both sides. I put a bunch of salt and pepper on both sides and didn't use oil on the cast iron skillet - the meat has enough fat.

Untitled

I would say sear it on medium high for about 4-5 minutes per side.

Meanwhile, chop up your onion, and put the rest of the ingredients in the crockpot:
Untitled

I didn't add any salt or pepper to the sauce in the crockpot because I salted the meat pretty well.

Flip your meat to make sure it's browned everywhere:
Untitled

Move your meat into the crockpot, and deglaze the cast iron with the chicken broth:
Untitled

Let it reduce in half and pour it on top of the meat.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Slice your meat when finished and drizzle generously with the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment