Contributors

Saturday, September 07, 2013

Salted Honey Butter Bars

I saw a recipe on pinterest for salted caramel butter bars. I initially wondered - could I make salted honey ones for Rosh Hashanah? The answer? YES! Yes I can. And they are addicting.

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the baking process because I wasn't sure how they would turn out. But here we go anyway.

Dough:
-4 sticks of softened butter
-1 cup sugar
-1.5 cups powdered sugar
-1 tbs vanilla
-4 cups flour

Preheat oven to 325
1. Cream your butter and sugars on low and then medium speed.
2. Add vanilla, and then gradually add the flour, and mix until combined.
3. Spoon half the dough into a baking dish and press it down. Bake for 15 minutes (325). 

While your dough base is baking, refrigerate the rest of the dough, and make your salted honey-caramel.


Salted Honey-Caramel
Okay - this was the issue. My friend Stacy (my pastry chef guru) told me I couldn't' just use honey, caramel is much denser. So I decided to try to thicken up honey. It worked!
-1 stick of butter
-1 cup of honey (I spray my measuring cup with pam or vegetable oil before pouring honey)
-2 tbs brown sugar
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 tbs cream
-1 tsp sea salt

1. Melt your butter, honey, and sugar over medium low heat, and constantly whisk for 20 minutes (yes it's work but it's worth it).
2. Add vanilla, cream and salt, and whisk for another few minutes. You want it to be thickened up quite a bit.

Okay, now here's what you do. I don't know what step we're on because I broke it up. So I'll start with one again.
1. Spread your honey-caramel over the baked dough base with a spatula.
2. Crumble the rest of the dough on top of the honey. It needs to be pretty chilled for this, so if it isn't cold enough yet, just put it back in the fridge and wait - your dough/honey base is fine waiting on the counter.
3. Bake for 25-30 minutes.

Let cool and then refrigerate. It should come out looking like this:


You should taste it to make sure it's okay. And then try to only taste one. Can you believe I managed to only taste one before snapping a picture? So so so so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment