Contributors

Monday, September 09, 2013

Tamale Pie

Hey, another recipe promised way back when. I am so on track this week :-)

I first tasted this recipe when my good friend Jaren made it. Ugh, it was amazing. I just wanted to keep eating it. When I made it Charlie was with a friend and proclaimed in front of him "You've been holding out on me". Thanks hubby.

I've made it several times and adjusted it a teeny bit. It's now my go to "bring a meal" dish - for when people have babies or whatnot, it's a for sure pleaser.


Ingredients:
-1 box of jiffy
-1 can of cream corn
-1/4 cup of egg beaters
-1/4 cup of nonfat yogurt or greek yogurt
-2 tbs taco seasoning (separated)
-2 four-ounce cans of green chilis
-1 ten-ounce can of enchilada sauce (green or red)
-2 cups of shredded cooked chicken breast (I use drained and rinsed canned chicken breast and Charlie the chicken snob couldn't tell!)
-reduced fat shredded cheese (however much you want)

1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Mix the jiffy, cream corn, egg, yogurt/milk, and chilis, and spread in a casserole dish. Bake for 20 minutes.
3. While corn mixture bakes, mix your chicken with 2 tablespoons of the enchilada sauce, 1 tablespoon of taco seasoning, and about ½ cup of the cheese.
4. When the corn comes out of the oven, poke it all over with a fork (some of it will stick to the fork so be careful). Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the corn mixture
5. Add the chicken mixture on top of the corn, and top with as much cheese as you want. Bake for another 15 minutes.

This is best served a few hours later so it can set.

Look at my adorable wittle essy. ONE MONTH ISH TIL I SEE YOU!
Untitled

YUMMMMMM.

Untitled


By the way, I've made this gluten free before for two friends who have celiacs. I ordered a gluten free cornbread mix from amazon, and I made my own cream corn (believe it or not cream corn has gluten!). I just mixed up a can of corn with a few tablespoons of the liquid and some milk and cornstarch. I didn't measure, just sort of used common sense and added as needed. Both friends loved it so I'd say it was a success :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment